Non-Toxic is another one of those labels that are impossible to control and regulate and here is why. The Term Non-Toxic actually means that it won’t kill you if you eat it. Now, we all know that makeup should not be eaten because it’s not food, it’s not edible. So, why are makeup products brandishing non-toxic labeling? What does it mean exactly?
According to the FDA, the term non-toxic doesn’t actually mean anything because the term is not regulated. Instead, is a term used by suppliers to manufacturers to communicate whether something is tolerable to a consumer. Take a baker’s ingredients for example. Candles on a cake are decorative items and are marked non-toxic, are they edible? No. Could they be eaten by children at a birthday party? Yes. Will it kill the child? No, but it will give the child a stomach ache, that’s for sure.
Why Natural Does Not Mean Organic
People often confuse the word natural with organic. Yes, they both mean different things. A product that is advertised as “all-natural” means that it is not organic. If a product was organic, they would be displaying organic certification on their products. So what does all-natural mean?
All natural means that the final product contains ingredients which are natural or naturally derived, compared with an organic product which only includes ingredients which have been produced without alteration, chemical engineering or ‘inorganic treatment’.
So you can see how dishonest the all natural label can be on makeup products and why it must be avoided. Your skin only absorbs 60% of the product on the skin, which is why you should only place quality products on your skin. Organic products are better tolerated and are likely to have fewer ingredients. Less complexity is better for the skin.
The Truth About ‘Hypoallergenic’ and Vegan Makeup
This topic has been discussed at length in the post, “Are vegan makeup products hypoallergenic?” The truth is some products are better tolerated by your skin than others, this is because of their ingredients. The FDA does not regulate the term ‘hypoallergenic’ and as far as the FDA is concerned, because makeup is not intended for eating as food, there is no requirement to regulate the term ‘non-toxic’ on vegan makeup products.
Toxicity Is On A Spectrum Rather Than Toxic vs Non-Toxic
You cannot measure products, containing ingredients which are not meant to be on your face (makeup doesn’t naturally occur in your skin, it’s a’foreign element’) as toxic or non-toxic. You must measure toxicity on a spectrum, this is why vegan makeup manufacturers rely on the traditional or more conventional hypoallergenic term.
This fact is worth repeating – your skin can only absorb 60% of the product on your skin, this is why before applying any makeup, you should wash your face and moisturize your skin or learn how to find a vegan moisturizer for your skin.
Don’t Leave Your Makeup On Overnight Regardless Of Vegan or Non-Vegan Products
When you leave your makeup on your face overnight your disturb the ph balance on top of your skin and within your pores. This set’s back your skincare progress and can have a detrimental affect to your health. Leaving makeup on you face overnight will dehydrate your face, making your face vulnerable to sun damage, creasing and wrinkles.